Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Mix of Emotions this World Cup is producing within me is RIDICULOUS

Ok. So weirdest World Cup ever.
-I guess after all that news of France refusing to train and Nicolas Anelka cussing out Raymond Domenech, they got what was coming to them. I only feel sorry for France, because as my friend Valentine said, "without football, French Patriotism is in the trash".
-OMG I am so pissed at that ref. You know. America knows. Maurice Edu, that was a brilliant finish. In every one of my stat books, you're getting that goal.
-Switzerland: the impenetrable defense cracked in the saddest way. Behrami should NOT have been sent off (let me mention here that this is like some business expo meeting thing with all the cards handed out), Derdiyok should've hit that goal. But that's in the past. Hopp Schwiiz against Honduras!
-ARGENTINA! The first sure success of my World Cup! Albiceleste have done wonderfully, and I think it will earn them the title.

Football is crazier here than I thought it would be. On Monday, during the Chile game, there were notices at all public transport stops to watch out for the River area because there were huge perturbations during the match. I saw a do not enter sign with a vertical line painted perpendicular to the horizontal white line to make a cross like the Swiss flag during that day. Amazing support.

Watching the reality show on Youtube, the Bud House, is increasingly entertaining. It's that stupid, no brain entertainment, but this is a novel idea for this World Cup. It's wonderful seeing 32 people representing their countries forced into a house to watch matches together, to sleep within their preliminary groups, to interact as humans as well as fans at appropriate times. You get to know people beyond their fanaticism with this sport. This is the wonderful thing. But it's also what I finally wanted to see; people going batty over their country's teams. I couldn't stop watching.

WEDNESDAY. Today. The day of truth. My ability to boast my country relies on this game against Algeria. Let's do it USA.

FRIDAY. The day of truth, part deux. Switzerland HAS TO beat Honduras to have any chance of going through. Go Chile, edge Spain out! Go Switzerland, score so many goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment