Monday, June 14, 2010

DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES! Also, Geneve.

The first paragraph, with fair warning, is going to be spent by incessantly babbling about how great the German Football Team is. It sucks that Australia got beaten so badly, but I wouldn’t be more pleased now that I know it is by Deutschland. Yay for Miroslav Klose; I really think he’s going to hit the top of the World Cup goal scorers list this time around. I’m proud I ironed his number and name on my jersey at Euro 2008. Furthermore, I am raring up for a crushing of Spain. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the Spanish team; I think they play beautiful football. HOWEVER, nothing can make up for the fact that they crushed my dreams of German victory during the Euro 2008 final. This feeling was similar to the one I had when the Netherlands got overwhelmed by Russia; pure anger.

Enough about soccer, let me tell you about Geneva. I love it. Free transportation with lodging, free internet everywhere, an incomparable mélange of culture. Furthermore, “Le Palais”, or the UN compound here, is amazing. There’s a supermarket and several post offices in there. It’s its own city! Only downside is no A/C, but you can’t argue about being across from the room where the League of Nations met. That’s pretty sweet. I work with some very laid back and awesome people, and I’m looking forward to meeting everyone on the floor.

It’s going to be very interesting walking around with people in their traditional national clothes; Indian diplomats in Nehru suits and African ones in their garb. It’s going to be interesting walking in every morning to protest. Today, one was going on that was dear to my heart and heritage; fate, I guess. It was a cry to the Human Rights Commission on the situation of the abandoned Tamils in Sri Lanka in the era post-Tamil Tigers. Being Tamil, there was something about this that I identified with closely. In an odd way, protest let me know that I didn’t have to feel left out here; the whole WORLD was here.

No comments:

Post a Comment