Friday, June 4, 2010

It's not necessarily the biggest thing EVERYWHERE

So, this is a really short post. I just remembered something I saw on the way back to Dublin from Belfast. A bunch of people were on a field playing something that looked soccer-like. Me and my friend, Dionna, automatically believed that this was soccer; there were goalkeepers and everyone was constantly just running around. Our friend, Erich, was convinced it was closer to football. My arrogance at the moment however, with my following of soccer, phased my judgment. We then find out from a girl in front of us that it is actually a mix, a sport where you have to kick the ball after taking a few steps with it in your hands after passing. You use both the rugby goal and the football goal. I was utterly perplexed and humbled; I learned that Europe is obviously much much more than football. I always realized that it had great tradition in other sports (Switzerland, my home country for 2 months, can be proud of 2 of the worlds greatest Tennis players, Martina Hingis and Roger Federer as well as legendary Ski Jumper, Simon Ammann), but I always thought that everything was far overshadowed by soccer. Apparently, everything has an off season, and there has to be something there to replace the possible disappointment that failure in football may bring.

1 comment:

  1. Sacrilege. Real football is so much more important than fake football, haha. And there's no such thing as an "off-season" for real football. Glad to hear Europe is enlightening and that you're having such a great time. Give me a call when you get a chance, since I have a phone now, haha.

    ReplyDelete