Monday, July 12, 2010

The Little Things

Clerical work saved me today. I came into the office this morning and did nothing for 45 minutes. I just sat with a blank stare. Finally, I got the desperation to ask "is there anything I can start off with?" Thankfully, the database entry of Country Information and printing off reams of paper came to my rescue. It has been an incredibly painful 24 hours. Even going to the Medical Services in the UNOG and finding out I got bronchitis was something to look forward to; it was something to do, after all. Busy work, doctor check ups, watching Kurdish people protesting in front of the entrance and writing this blog. All a distraction, a welcome distraction.
I'm pretty lonely in Geneva, to be honest. Sure, I have made friends, but these people already have PhDs and Masters and at least Bachelors Degrees. I feel happy that I can hang with such a professional crowd, but it is quite an issue being the only one as young as me. My work, my laptop, my Skype and my drinks with the usual suspects here are what I rely on.
I just want to say that this is a wonderful town, though. Many people will say, "college is the best time of your life", and "savor this time while you can", and "when you're in Europe, take any chance you have to party and go crazy". I really don't believe that last one. I am perfectly content with the working life and the relaxing parts in the evenings and weekends. It gives me the time to reflect and slow down. I don't think personal discovery is aptly performed by living fast all the time. Thus, I like small, relatively quiet, yet diverse Geneva.
I am anticipating greatly the next few weekends; weekends I will get to see some fellow travellers from UTD. We need to connect, and though it is important to be able to be independent, there comes a time to be together. This is one.
Though it may seem extremely sensitive at this time, I want to dedicate this post to our friend David. He was a great guy, a great mind, and a calm demeanor. It was wonderful working with him. It was wonderful getting to know him. I will remember him as I last saw him: happy, thoughtful and kind. I will live to my fullest to remember such a great soul, and I will try to fill this optimism in everyone else I see. I will try my best.

Rest in Peace, David. Here's looking at you.

OM

No comments:

Post a Comment